The holidays are filled with family, parties, traditions and lots of yummy, festive food. But research shows that most adults usually gain some sort of weight over the holiday season. But don’t despair — this year can be different! It’s possible to make smart, healthy decisions while still enjoying yourself. Temptations are everywhere, and travel disrupts daily routines. What’s more, it all goes on for weeks. You won’t be able to control what food you’re served, and you’re going to see other people eating tempting treats. Head into the holiday with a plan!
Healthy Holiday Eating Tips that can help:
- Invited to a party? Offer to bring a healthy dish along.
- When you face a holiday buffet, try to make healthy choices, like having a small plate of food.
- Start with vegetables to take the edge off your appetite.
- Avoid or limit alcohol. Try sparkling water instead.
- No food is on the naughty list. Choose the dishes you really love and can’t get any other time of the year.
- Be active! It can help make up for eating more than usual and reduce stress during this time of year. Have family or friends take a walk after a holiday meal.
Remember, get right back to healthy eating at your next meal. The season is about celebrating and connecting with people you care about. When you focus more on the fun, it’s easier to focus less on food.